Monday, June 30, 2008

"The last few years, we’ve spent July Fourth at the house of friends who have had the assembled company read the entire declaration." How fascinating? How interesting and entertaining? How can I get myself invited to this lovely crowd who reads aloud the American Declaration of Independence? What a party? I mean, last year I attended a party in which guests had to read the phone book. Don't get me wrong. It was great fun and I would do it again in a heartbeat, but this really is the most fun that I have ever heard. (By the way, this same William Kristol was a professor of political science at University of Pennsylvania when Hanna Batatu applied for a position there after leaving Lebanon in the early 1980s. Kristol mobilized the Zionist crowd there against Batatu's appointment.)